Tuesday, March 5, 2013
Budget Impacts are Local, Statewide and National
Budget Issues have local, statewide and National Impact
1. Local: Our EGRPS Schools are again facing a budget deficit over $1 million. Please attend the March 11, 2013 budget meeting at 5pm at the Morse Administrative Building 2915 Hall Street SE East Grand Rapids, MI 49506. www.egrps.org Look for information coming from EGR NOW! To support our district. Not from our district? Get your district to be transparent about your budget crisis and educate your parents. We can’t fund raise our way out of this problem. Let’s all get on board!!
2. State: How can there be a cut if the governor says there was more money in the School Aid Fund? There are more entities taking money out of the pot, such as the community colleges and universities, which used to be funded through the State’s general fund. Check out Michigan Parents for Schools Article http://www.miparentsforschools.org/node/187
3. National: Sequestration will affect federal dollars to states. Special education, Head Start and Title I dollars are at risk. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/politics/sequestration-state-impact/
Nationally, people are waking up to the Civil Rights impact of Education Reform. Check out: .
1. (EAA) Education Achievement Authority. Overreach. Overkill. Although it was capped at 50 schools in the lame duck session, it is still a bad law. It is bad for urban schools. It is bad for all schools. Please read: http://www.miparentsforschools.org/node/184
2. Oxford Foundation school financing revamp. This unbundling of schools will take local control away. We will have our districts become the ATM for children’s education while still being held responsible for test scores and other administrative costs. This is a boon for cyber schools.
3. Expansion of choice. We are revisiting the uncapping of charter and cyber schools with the ability of any entity to open a school. These schools will be able to have entrance criteria. Our local public schools take everyone. These schools will take the least expensive students and our society will be ever more segregated.
Educate yourself. Join Michigan Parents for Schools http:www.miparentsforschools.org, Friends of Kent County Schools Facebook Page and the ERG Legislative Committee Facebook page or follow us on our blog, www.egrpseducationadvocates.blogspot.com.